GATE Architecture Syllabus |Paper Pattern
Gate Architecture syllabus consist of following Topics:Syllabus for Architecture and Planning (AR)
- City planning: Evolution of cities; principles of city planning.
- Housing:Concept of housing; neighbourhood concept; site planning principles; housing typology.
- Landscape Design: Principles of landscape design and site planning; history of landscape styles; landscape elements and materials; plant characteristics & planting design; environmental considerations in landscape planning.
- Computer Aided Design:Application of computers in architecture and planning, programming languages – C and Visual Basic and usage of packages such as AutoCAD, 3D-Studio, 3D Max.
- Environmental Studies in Building Science: Components of Ecosystem; ecological principles concerning environment; climate responsive design; energy efficient building design
- Visual and Urban Design: Principles of visual composition; proportion, scale, rhythm, symmetry, harmony, datum, balance, form, colour, texture; sense of place and space.
- History of Architecture:Indian – Indus valley, Vedic, Buddhist, Indo-Aryan, Dravidian and Mughal periods; European – Egyptian, Greek, Roman, medieval and renaissance periods construction and architectural styles.
- Development of Contemporary Architecture: Architectural developments and impacts on society since industrial revolution; influence of modern art on architecture.
- Building Services:Water supply, sewerage and drainage systems; sanitary fittings and fixtures;plumbing systems, principles of internal & external drainage systems, principles of electrification of buildings, intelligent buildings; elevators & escalators.
- Building Construction and Management: Building construction techniques, methods and details; building systems and prefabrication of building elements project management techniques e.g., PERT, CPM etc.
- Materials and Structural Systems: Behavioural characteristics of all types of building materials e.g. mud, timber, bamboo, brick, concrete, steel, glass, FRP.
- Planning Theory: Regional planning; settlement system planning; history of human settlements; growth of cities & metropolises; principles of Ekistics; rural-urban migration.
- Techniques of Planning: Planning survey techniques; preparation of urban and regional structure plans, development plans, action plans.
- Traffic and Transportation Planning: Principles of traffic engineering and transportation planning; traffic survey methods; design of roads, intersections, grade separators and parking areas.
- Infrastructure, Services and Amenities: Principles of water supply and sanitation systems; water treatment; solid waste disposal systems; waste treatment, recycle & reuse.
- Development Administration and Management: Planning laws; development control and zoning regulations; laws relating to land acquisition; development enforcements.
Weightage of Marks
|Paper Sections||Marks Distribution|
|Subject Question||85% of the total marks|
|General Aptitude Test||15% of the total Marks|
GATE Architecture Syllabus & Paper Patters.
- General Aptitude Test Syllabus (Common to all Paper)-Click here
- Gate Architecture syllabus & Planning- Click here